Seahawks: Surreal in Seattle


A timeline of the most dramatic comeback in NFC Championship Game history:

--Behind 16-0 in the third quarter, Seattle scores its first touchdown from field goal formation when erstwhile holder Jon Ryan throws a 19-yard touchdown to rookie offensive tackle Garry Gilliam (who briefly played tight end at Penn State). Then Ryan holds for Steven Hauschka's PAT kick.

Score: Packers 16, Seahawks 7 with 4:44 left in third quarter.

--Behind 19-7 with 5:13 left in regulation, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson throws his fourth interception of the game -- all on passes intended for wide receiver Jermaine Kearse. After the interception, Green Bay safety Morgan Burnett goes to the ground on his own at the Packers' 43 rather than attempt a return and chance a turnover with 5:04 left in regulation.

--Behind 19-7 and after the Packers go three and out after the interception, Seattle regains the ball with 3:52 remaining in regulation. Wilson ends a 69-yard drive on the seventh play, a 1-yard touchdown on 3rd-and-1. Hauschka kicks PAT.

Score: Packers 19, Seahawks 14 with 1:43 left in regulation.

--Behind 19-14, Seattle's onside kick is recovered by rookie wide receiver Chris Matthews, who played in only three previous games with no catches. Seattle gets ball at the 50 yard line with 2:07 left in regulation.

--Behind 19-14, Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch runs 24 yards for a touchdown.

Score: Seahawks 20, Packers 19 with 1:25 left in regulation.

--Ahead for the first time, 21-19, Seattle goes for two-point conversion. Wilson, under extreme pressure and running backwards and to his right, throws a high, arching desperation pass to the left side of the field where tight end Luke Willson, who had only two other receptions in the game, makes the catch at the goal line and spins in for the two-point try.

Score: Seahawks 22, Packers 19 with 1:25 left in regulation.

--With Seattle ahead, 22-19, Green Bay returns the kickoff 18 yards to its own to 22 and starts drive there with 1:19 left.

Facing a 4th-and-4 with the line of scrimmage at the Seattle 30, Green Bay's Mason Crosby kicks his fifth field goal of the game, a 48-yarder.

Score: Seahawks 22, Packers 22 with 14 seconds left in regulation.

--With the score tied and 11 seconds left in regulation, Seattle pushes the game into overtime when Wilson takes a knee at his own 21-yard line.


--Seattle, which deferred after winning the pregame coin toss, wins the overtime toss and elects to receive. The only way to win on a first possession in overtime is to score a touchdown because a field goal allows the opposing team to have a possession.

--Starting at its own 13, the Seahawks take six plays to go 87 yards and score the winning touchdown, a 35-yard pass from Wilson to Kearse -- the same combination that resulted in four interceptions in regulation.

Final Score Seahawks 28, Packers 22