Letter: Too quick to blame lead ammo

Body: 

In her Wildwoods columns (March 20 and previous articles) Peggy Farr asserts "lead is poison" and the that the best solution to this annual poisoning of our majestic national bird is to urge every hunter to switch to non-lead (specifically, copper) ammunition. That is only an assertion, not scientifically supported.

The "scientific studies" the anti-lead proponents use do not appear to be scientifically sound. The University of California, Santa Cruz study, used to advocate the lead ammo ban that was passed for the California condors areas, was based on data that UCSC refused to release to the public. What are they hiding?

The anti-lead ammo proponents promised that if hunters stopped using lead ammo, the poisoning would stop. We know there has been 99 percent compliance rate by hunters in the California condor area but the poisoning of condors has slightly increased. Perhaps something other than ammo is causing the poisoning.

Being a concerned and caring parent, raising my son in a house with a lead water line running from the main water meter and with most of the walls not painted since the 1978 lead paint ban, I had his blood tested. We don't usually drink tap water in the morning until it has been used for flushing toilets and/or showering. And we kept the house clean. His lead levels were very low. Therefore, I don't buy the hysteria concerning lead.

I have been eating venison for many years now with no ill effects. I have never heard of any hunters getting lead poisoning from venison.

I think we need to be smart about what we do with everything, lead included, but the present fear ginned up against lead isn't warranted. Lead is extremely useful in countless ways, so let's not get carried away.

Allan Kehr

Duluth

Source: www.huntfortruth.org