Bicycle Commuters are invited to stop by one of six bike commuter stations on Friday, May 19 from 6am to 8am for free coffee and breakfast snacks. The downtown Duluth station will be at MN Power Plaza and will also have free bike tune-ups and a DTA bus present for people to learn how to use the bike racks that are on all DTA buses.
Bike to work day commuter stations occur annually on National Bike to Work Day, but new this year are satellite stations and participation of businesses in Duluth. Satellite stations will be located at the following places:
- Minnesota Power Plaza, sponsored by Duluth Coffee Company and the Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Interstate Council.
- 28th Street and Hammond Avenue in Superior, sponsored by the Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Interstation Council.
- West Superior Street and 20th Avenue West, sponsored by Bent Paddle.
- Central Entrance and Arlington Avenue, sponsored by Kwik Trip and Dunkin Donuts.
- East 8th Street and 19th Avenue East, sponsored by Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café.
- East Superior Street and 40th Avenue East, sponsored by Amity Coffee.
The Duluth Transit Authority is offering free rides to passengers with bicycles on Bike to Work Day to encourage multi-modal transportation and using the DTA as a way to make bicycling to work more feasible for more people. Organizers of Bike to Work Day hope people who have never used the bus in combination with their bike ride use the free ride as an opportunity to try it out.
These events are part of Bus Bike Walk Duluth, a month-long series of events encouraging active transportation and accessibility for everyone of all ages and abilities in Duluth. Complete event listing can be found at facebook.com/BusBikeWalkDuluth. Bus Bike Walk is hosted by Zeitgeist Center for Arts & Community, supported by St Louis County Public Health, the Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Interstate Council, and Healthy Northland (Statewide Health Improvement Partnership), and sponsored by the Duluth Transit Authority, Essentia Health, MN Power, maurices, Krech-Ojard, and Eagle Accounting.